DIY Home remedies for stretch marks – Before going into the DIY home remedies for stretch marks you should know what is a stretch mark and how it is caused. Do you think stretch marks are caused only during pregnancy??. If you think so that is not correct. Read further to know the actual causes of the stretch mark and how to get rid of it.
DIY Home Remedies for Stretch Marks
- Stretch mark and it’s causes
- What is a stretch mark?
- How stretch marks are caused?
- Who are all affected by stretch marks?
- DIY home remedies for stretch marks
- DIY Olive Oil serum
- DIY Sugar Scrub
- DIY Aloe Vera cream
- DIY using Egg whites mask
- DIY Coffee Scrub
- DIY castor oil
- DIY coconut oil serum
- DIY using Lemon
- DIY using Cocoa butter
- DIY using Potato Juice
- DIY using Shea butter
- Keep hydrated
- Additional tips
Stretch mark and it’s causes
We will see first what is stretch mark and what are the causes of the stretch marks.
What is a stretch mark?
A stretch mark is a fine lines or scars on the body when a person grows or gains weight in a very rapid manner.(1)
How stretch marks are caused?
When you gain sudden weight due to pregnancy or puberty the skin is pulled by rapid growth of stretching. When the skin is overstretched the collagen in the skin gets distracted and as a result scars are formed which is called as stretch marks. Check the causes and preventive measures of Whiteheads and blackheads.
Who are all affected by stretch marks?
- People who are all of obese often get stretch marks.
- Ladies get stretch marks during their pregnancy time
- Bodybuilders also prone to get stretch marks because of the rapid body changes that they go through when bodybuilding.(2)
- To those people who use steroid containing skins creams or ointments.
Image source – Flickr by Selbe Lynn
Stretch marks are not that bad but some people feel embarrassing as it may be seen in the hip, arms etc, as it looks like a scar. Though it is not that easy to completely fade away the stretch marks we have the home remedies which can minimize the appearance of stretch marks and help to lighten it and fade away in due course.
DIY home remedies for stretch marks
Below listed are some of the DIY home remedies for the stretch marks which helps to lighten your stretchmarks.
Check the top 12 home remedies to remove whiteheads.
DIY Olive Oil serum
Undoubtedly olive oil is rich in vitamin A, D and E and nutrients and has anti-oxident property. Its application reduces the appearance of the stretch marks and prevents the new ones to appear.
- Make a serum by mixing few drops of olive oil with few drops of vinegar and water.
- Apply it at night and let it be absorbed overnight.
- Daily use can reduce the stretch marks altogether.
DIY Sugar Scrub
Sugar is one of the homeopathic microdermabrasion methods. The method is performed clinically to fade the stretch marks. Owing to this explanation, sugar is worthy of a try.(3)
- Add few drops of almond oil and lemon juice in one tablespoon of sugar.
- Mix it into a scrub consistency and massage it on the stretch marks area for ten minutes.
- Repeat this process daily until desired results are achieved.
DIY Aloe Vera cream
Aloe vera gel soothes the damaged and scarred skin, owing to its anti-inflammatory and healing properties. It is rich in nutrients and reduces scars. It also smoothens and lightens the skin.
Method – 1
- Cut the aloe vera and get the gel alone.
- Apply the aloe vera gel on the affected parts.
- Leave it for 15 to 20min or until it dries and rinse with warm water.
- Repeat this process daily to see the results in few months.
Method – 2
- Add oil of ten vitamin E capsules and five vitamins A capsules in one-fourth cup of Aloe Vera gel.
- Mix it and make the cream.
- Massage it on the stretch marks and let it sit until it is completely absorbed.
- Rinse it off with Luke warm water.
- Use this cream regularly for best results.
If you don’t find time to extract the gel, you can buy this Aloe Vera gel.
DIY using Egg whites mask
These are rich in proteins and amino acids that aids in repairing the scared skin and makes the appearance of stretchmarks very minimal. Egg whites can also be used to remove black heads and wrinkles.
- Whip aside two egg whites.
- Apply it on the stretch marks and leave it on until dry.
- Rinse off with water and massage the skin with olive oil.
- Repeat this process daily for best results.
DIY Coffee Scrub
Coffee scrub is very common treatment for stretch marks. It is rich in caffeine and the anti-oxidants present in coffee can penetrate deep into the skin easily. It stimulates the degradation of fats under the skin.(4)
The gentle scrubbing motion will also enhance the blood flow in that area. All of these work well together to lighten the skin and fades away the stretch marks.
- Mix the coffee grounds with aloe vera gel and massage it onto the stretch marks for three to five minutes.
- Wash it off with water and apply olive oil for moisturizing.
- Repeat this process on daily basis.
DIY castor oil
Castor oil is used in number of skin problem treatments such as dark spots, pimples, wrinkles etc. It is also one of the very good remedy in treating the stretch marks.
- Add some castor oil on the stretch marks and give a gentle massage in circular motion for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Now wrap the area with thin cotton cloth.
- Using a hot water bottle or a heating pad give a heat massage to the affected area for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process daily for at least one month to find the positive outcome.
DIY coconut oil serum
Coconut oil is the beauty miracle product. It moisturizes the skin. The antioxidants present in it boost the immune system. You can buy this virgin coconut oil that gives good results.
Method – 1
- Clean the area where you have the stretch marks with little hot water.
- Wipe the waters with the towel.
- Now take few drops of virgin coconut oil and give a good massage on the stretch marks until the oil is completely absorbed by the skin.
- Repeat this process for at least 15 days to get the quick results.
Method – 2
- Add few drops of coconut oil with tea tree oil and apply it on the stretch marks.
- Give a gentle massage in circular motion.
- Repeat this process three times a day for effective results.
DIY using Lemon
Lemon is a natural bleaching agent which helps to lighten the skin and to remove the dead skin cells. Lemon not only remove stretch marks but also acne and other scars on the skin(5). Check the benefits of drinking lemon water.
Method – 1
- Using a piece of lemon and gently rub on the stretch marks in circular motions.
- Let your skin absorb the lemon juice or at least leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
Method – 2
- Mix equal amount of cucumber juice and lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture on the stretch marks.
- Let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water.
DIY using Cocoa butter
Cocoa butter is a natural antioxidant and has really good moisturizing abilities. Because of this abilities it is highly recommended for the prevention of stretch marks in pregnant woman. It can penetrate into the deep layers of the skin and repair the damaged cells.(6)
Method – 1
- Take a tablespoon of cocoa butter and massage on the affected question gently.
- Twice a day for at least two months until you get the good improvement on your skin.
Method – 2
- half cup of cocoa butter
- wheat germ oil – 1 tbsp
- grated beeswax – 1 tbsp
- apricot kernel oil – 1 tbsp
- vitamin E oil – 1 tbsp
- Heat this mixture until the bees wax melts.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and apply this lotion to a stretch marks two to three times a day.
- This will make your skin soft and smooth and your stretch marks vanish in due course.
I use this cocoa butter and this beeswax. Based on customer reviews you can buy this Wheat germ oil and Apricot kernel oil.
DIY using Potato Juice
Potatoes have good amount of vitamin C which helps in good skin. You temps and Foster growth and restoration of skin cells. It also fights against the dark spots and wrinkles. Check the amazing benefits of potatoes on your skin.
Method – 1
- Just cut a medium sized potato.
- Rub the potato slices gently on the stretch marks for a few minutes.
- Let the starch from the potato covers the affected area.
- Allow it to completely dry.
- Wash it off with likewarm water.
Method – 2
- Grate a medium-sized potato and grind it nicely.
- Squeeze and filter the juice.
- Mix this juice with 2 tablespoon of honey.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area and allow it to dry completely.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply some moisturizer after this method.
DIY using Shea butter
Like cocoa butter, shea butter is also highly moisturizing for the skin and processes very good antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It smoothens the skin and keeps your skin healthy and also repairs any damaged cells.
I use this shea butter product.
Image source – Flickr by Khadija
- Massage your skin with sheabutter on the affected areas and leave it for the skin to absorb the butter.
- Apply this few times a day for better results.
Staying well-hydrated in the pregnancy time is an excellent way to reduce the possibility of getting that stretch marks. If you have dry skin you are more prone to get the stretch marks when compared to the people who skin is more flexible and less itchy. Read the amazing benefits of water.
Experts advice to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day to keep you hydrated. By drinking this amount of water makes your skin soft and helps to maintain its elasticity.
- Consume at least ten glasses of water per day.
- Make fresh fruits and veggies a MUST in your diet.
- Consume low-calorie foods.
- Keep your skin moisturized and DO NOT scratch the stretchmark. DO NOT!
These are the simple DIY home remedies for stretch marks. Follow these methods at least for a month or two to see the stretch marks vanish. These DIY Home remedies for stretch marks take sometime to show its power. Do not expect immediate results in any of the remedies.
First try any one of these home remedies for stretch marks for three days continuously and check if you are not allergic to any of the remedies. If you feel any itchiness around the area then stop that remedy and follow the other remedies.
If you feel still itchiness on your stretch marks even after trying these remedies, kindly consult your skin doctor.
* This post contains Amazon affiiates. I recommend some products which I use personally and some products I recommend based on the customer reviews.
Leave a Reply