The next time you have a cough, instead of going to the drug store to buy medicine that might be full of toxins and artificial flavors, try making some on your own. It’s very easy to prepare natural cough drops. You can even customize the recipe to reflect your own personal taste.
For example, you can add some edible essential oils to the recipe. Essential oils will contribute in the fight between your immune system and the viruses and bacteria causing your health condition.
Peppermint-based essential oils contain the volatile oil menthol. This compound can ease your sore throat and will soothe the bronchial tubes. It also has many health benefits including antiviral, insecticidal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties.
How to prepare honey-lemon cough drops: The perfect tool against throat, cough and mouth health
2 tablespoons of water
The zest of one lemon
5 drops of peppermint essential oil (where to find)
5 ounces of raw honey
Method of preparation:
1. Mix the honey and water in a small pot. Place the pot on a low fire and cook until it boils.
2. Cover the mixture for 4 minutes.
3. Turn the flame off and let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
4. Mix the lemon zest with the peppermint essential oil.
5. Drop small amounts of the resulting mixture onto cookie sheets, using a teaspoon, and make sure you leave a little bit of space between the drops, otherwise they will stick together.
6. Let the cough drops stand still for approximately 30 minutes in order to harden.
7. Now, let them cool for half an hour and store them in a tightly closed container. These medicinal sweets will stay fresh for 3 to 6 months when kept in dry conditions.