Gram flour which is nothing but the chickpeas flour ( Kadala Maavu in tamil, also popularly called as Besan) is very good for skin. I cannot say it makes skin very fair, but to some extent it helps in skin whitening. My neighbour aunty use this for her grand daughter daily from her birth till now. She gave some tips which I want to share with you all.
Kadalai Maavu for Skin
If you are buying the Kadalai Maavu from store buy a very good quality. Because the low branded ones looks very bright yellow but it is not good for skin as it might contain chemicals to brighten it. You can also prepare your own kadalai maavu using the dried chickpeas and grind it in the mixer to a fine powder. Sieve it and save in a airtight container.
Check here the 20 DIY techniques using Gram flour for Skin Whitening.
Uses of Kadalai Maavu
- Makes your skin soft and smooth.
- Removes tan and lightens the skin colour gradually.
- Removes the dead cells and can be used as a good exfoliator.
- Since it is rich in protein, it can be used as a bath powder for babies and kids also.
How chickpeas flour/kadalai maavu can be used for skin whitening
1. Use Kadalai maavu / Besan Flour for bathing instead of Soap
- Kadalai Maavu – 1 tablespoon
- Green gram powder / payatham maavu – 1 tablespoon
- Kasturi Manjal – 1/4 teaspoon
- Water – as required
- Mix the kadalai maavu/chickpeas, green gram powder and wild turmeric (Kasthuri Manjal) in a small bowl.
- Make a paste adding little water.
- Apply all over your body and Use just like soap. (Don’t expect bubbles to occur 😛 😛 )
- You can use this paste on daily basis instead of soap.
- Any age people, even babies can use this and no skin problem occur when used daily.
Note: For boy babies you can avoid turmeric if you feel, it might affect growth of hair. Check – how Ice cubes can be used for glowing face
2. Besan flour as a scrub
- Kadalai Maavu / Besan flour – 1/2 tablespoon
- Rice flour – 1/2 tablespoon
- Wild turmeric / kasthuri manjal – 1 teaspoon
- Yogurt / curd – 1 tablespoon
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Make a paste and slowly rub all over your face, neck and Hands in circular motions.
- Do some gentle massages on your face and neck for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- As Kadalai maavu is a good exfoliator, it removes all the dead cells and makes your skin clean and clear.
- Do this once a week atleast.
Note: While doing scrubbing, do it gently. Don’t use more force. Check the 12 Natural home remedies for Whiteheads.
3. Besan flour for facial mask
- Kadalai Maavu – 1 tablespoon
- Kasthuri Manjal – 1/2 teaspoon
- Milk – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice – 1/4 teaspoon or 5 to 6 drops
- Mix Chickpeas flour with turmeric, milk and lemon juice.
- Make a paste without any lumps.
- Apply on the face and neck, leave it till it dries or at least 20 min.
- Wash the face and you can see the difference immediately.
Note: For sensitive skin, you can avoid lemon juice and add water. For Oily skin, avoid milk and add rose water.
[Read Turmeric for beautiful face]
4. Chickpeas flour for face hair removal
- Kadalai maavu – 1/2 tablespoon
- Turmeric/Manjal – 1/2 teaspoon
- Tea tree essential oil – few drops
- Rose water – As required
- Mix the chickpeas flour, turmeric and few drops of tea tree essential oil and rose water as required in a bowl.
- Wash your face before applying this paste so that, the pores are open so that hairs can fall off easily.
- Gently rub on the face on the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Allow to dry it completely and rinse off with water.
- Apply a moisturizer after this.
- Use it twice a week.
- Slowly you can feel the difference in a months time.
So what is your usage of kadalai maavu?? How it is beneficial to you. Share your experience with us, as it might help others too.